Thatha is granddad in Tamil. Both my boys love the way my dad makes toast on a tava or dosakallu. It takes toasted and buttered bread to a all new level. It was one of our favourites when I was growing up and the tradition continues. You can make it in a non-stick skillet or fry pan.
As recipes go, it does not get easier than this, unless you include boiling water.
A brinskitchen recipe
- Sliced bread
- Butter, preferably salted
- Take little blobs of butter and spread it on both side of bread slices.
- Heat tava or a fry pan on the hob to medium heat. Larger pan toasts multiple slices at once.
- Toast the buttered slices till golden brown on both sides.
- Store over a warm plate to avoid condensation till all the slices are toasted.
Serve with a fried egg or omelette.
Just keep the egg between 2 slices of toasted bread to make a super quick sandwich. Yummy.
Vegetable kuruma, is a south Indian vegetable gravy with cauliflower, carrots, peas and potatoes. Yummier.